Ontology Languages (Comp321)
Times and Location
The module runs in the first semester.
The lectures will be:
- Monday, 11am (BROD-107)
- Thursday, 4pm (BROD-107)
- Friday, 9am (LIFS-LT1)
One tutorial per week (Wednesday, 11am (BROD-107)), starting second week of semester.
If you need to see me individually I will normally be available in my
office (room 114, Ashton Building) at the following days and
There will be two class tests of 50 minutes
(worth 20% of the final mark).
There will be a two hour exam (worth 80% of the final mark).
- Introduction to ontologies and terminologies and their applications (2 lectures)
- Introduction to ontology languages: Description Logics, Rule-based languages, first-order logic (7 lectures)
- Introduction to the design and maintenance of description logics (6 lectures, given by Valentina Tamma)
- Algorithms for reasoning in description logics and their applications (11 lectures)
- Ontologies and databases (4 lectures)