Aimd and Learning Outcomes
Logic in Computer Science (Comp118)
To introduce the notation and concepts of formal logic.
- To describe and emphasise the role of formal logic in Computer Science and Information Systems.
- To promote the importance of formal notations as the necessary means of ensuring clarity, precision and absence of ambiguity.
- To provide a solid foundation for modules that make use of formal logic such as artificial
intelligence, formal methods, knowledge representation, multi-agent systems, ontology languages, and advanced web technologies.
At the end of the module the student should be able to:
translate natural language descriptions and reasoning processes to and from
logical equivalents in the propositional and predicate logic.
- evaluate first-order predicate logic formulae in relational stuctures and understand the
relationship to relational databases.
- state and apply a proof system (either tableaux or sequent) for propositional and predicate logic.