Department of Computer Science,
University of Liverpool,
Liverpool, L69 3BX
Office: George Holt Buindlig, Room H201A
Phone: (+44) 1517958858
Mobile: (+44) 7831378101
Email: xiaowei.huang at liverpool.ac.uk, xiaowei.huang at live.com
I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor). Prior to Liverpool, I worked at University of Oxford, University of New South Wales, and Chinese Academy of Sciences.
My research concerns the correctness (e.g., safety, trustworthiness, etc) of autonomous systems, including
- logic-based approaches for the specification, verification and synthesis of autonomous multi-agent systems, and
- safety verification of machine learning techniques such as neural network-based deep learning.
- gave a short talk and served as a panelist for ERTS 2018 at Toulouse, France.
- our paper titled "Feature guided blackbox testing of deep neural networks" has been accepted to TACAS'2018. A preliminary version has been available at here. We will update it later, so please check back to get a new version.
- gave talks on "Verification of Deep Learning Systems" at Beijing (Beijing University and Tsinghua University) and Xi'an (Xidian University). Slides are available from here.
list and dblp
Recent Invited Talks, Seminars, and Panel Discussions:
- January 2018, Toulouse, France. Invited panel discussion on how machine learning technique could be used (or not) for safety-critical applications, oragnised by ONERA The French Aerospace Lab and AirBus. The 9th European Congress on Embedded Real Time Software and Systems (ERTS 2018). https://www.erts2018.org/
- April 2018, Thessaloniki, Greece. Verification of Deep Neural Networks. Invited Talk to the ETAPS 2018 workshop on formal methods for ML-enabled autonomous systems (FoMLAS2018). https://fomlas2018.fortiss.org
- Januray 2018, Florida, US. Invited talk and panelist of a session in SciTech2018 on the Interaction of Software Assurance and Risk Assessment Based Operation of Unmanned Aircraftsession. Organised by The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
- December 2017, Beijing, China. Verification of Robotics and Autonomous Systems. Invited talk to the workshop on the Verification of Large Scale Real-Time Embeded Systems. Slides are available from here.
- September 2017, Visegrad, Hungary. Verification of Robotics and Autonomous Systems. Invited Talk to the 11th Alpine Verification Meeting (AVM2017). http://avm2017.inf.mit.bme.hu. Slides are availabe from here
- November 2015, Oxford, UK. Reasoning About Trust in Autonomous Multiagent Systems. Univeristy of Oxford.
Funding and Grants
- NSFC project on "Automated Verification and Synthesis of Smart Factories", 2018 - 2021
- KTP Project with Kadfire, 2017-2019
- Lockey Grant, Oxford University, 2015.
Program Committee Memberships
Supervision of Postgraduate Research Students
If you are interested in doing a PhD in relevant reserach areas with me, please feel free to contact me. University of Liverpool has a set of established scholarship schemes, including Liverpool china scholarship council award. Additional to these, I may have some vacancies from time to time.
The following is a list of my current students.
- Abdullah Saad Alajmi, PhD, second advisor, with Prof. Frans Coenen
- Saad Abdullah Alajlan, PhD, second advisor, with Prof. Frans Coenen