Department of Computer Science,
University of Liverpool,
Liverpool, L69 3BX
Office: G25, Ashton Building
Phone: (+44) 1517958407
I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Robotics at the Department of Computer Science, University of Liverpool. I am an enthusiastic and dedicated researcher doing research on machine learning and computer vision algorithms with applications in robotics, e.g., robot perception, object recognition & localisation, and multimodal sensing fusion.
Talented candidates who are interested in my research areas are welcome to join my group, please feel free to contact me for more details (firstname.lastname@example.org). Potential PhD applicants can check this link for postgraduate research scholarships and awards at the University of Liverpool, including country specific scholarships like Liverpool-CSC awards. Also check out how we have achieved for the research excellence in REF.
I am responsible for the smARTLab which is a state-of-the-art robotics laboratory at the University of Liverpool.
[Opening] 3-year Postdoctoral Research Associate position in Robotics for my New Investigator Award.
[Opening] Liverpool-CSC Awards
[Opening] Sir Joseph Rotblat Alumni Scholarship
Our ICRA 2020 ViTac Workshop: Closing the Perception-Action Loop with Vision and Tactile Sensing will take place online on 31st May 2020. Participation will be for free, check out more details here.
01/2018- Present     Lecturer (Assistant Professor), University of Liverpool
I am an HEA Fellow.
09/2017- 01/2018     Research Fellow, Harvard University
06/2016- 09/2017     Research Fellow, University of Leeds
09/2012- 05/2016     PhD in Robotics, King's College London
08/2016- 12/2016     Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), MIT
My publication list and Google Scholar
- Semester 1, UGT (Level Three) COMP338. Computer Vision.
- Semester 2, PGT COMP532. Machine Learning and BioInspired Optimisation [Download slides here]
- Feb 2021 - Our work on simulation of GelSight sensor has been accepted to RA-L. Congratulations to Daniel! Check out more details here .
- Jan 2021 - Our ViTac 2021 workshop accepted to ICRA 2021! Come to join us!
- Dec 2020 - Honored to have the module "COM338 Computer Vision" I deliver featured in “2020: A year like no other” film of the University of Liverpool (at 00:50s).
- Oct 2020 - Excited to be granted the EPSRC New Investigator Award, ranked the first in the panel! Check out more about the grant "ViTac: Visual-Tactile Synergy for Handling Flexible Materials".
- Oct 2020 - Invited to give a talk at IROS 2020 "Autonomous System in Medicine: Current Challenges in Design, Modeling, Perception, Control and Applications" Workshop.
- Sep 2020 - Invited to co-chair a session "Tactile Sensing" in IROS 2020.
- Sep 2020 - Invited to be part of the Program Committee for IJCAI 2021.
- Aug 2020 - One paper accepted to Frontiers in Robotics and AI! Check out our paper and more details in the project website!
- June 2020 -Two papers accepted to IROS 2020!
- May 2020 -Our ViTac 2020 workshop will go online for free, come to join us! More details.
- April 2020 -Funded RAIN Innovation Fund "Feel the Nuclear Sites", working with RACE and Haption!
- April 2020 -Podcast on how to bring the latest research in automation and robotics into the labs of pharmaceutical R&D, organised by Oxford Global. Check out the podcast here.
- Feb 2020 -Funded AHRC project with Prof Richard Koeck and Aardman Animations on developing interactive "Shaun the Sheep"!
- Dec 2019 -Our ViTac 2020 workshop accepted to ICRA 2020! Come to join us!
- Nov 2019 -Invited talk at the "Simplication in the laboratory" workshop
- Sep 2019 -Invited talk at the Summer School on Intelligent Sensing, London.
- Aug 2019 -International Exchange Scheme project funded by Royal Society, with Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT), Italy. Look forward to the colloboration!
- Jul 2019 -Granted Higher Education Academy (HEA) Fellowship!
- Jun 2019 -Recognized as IJCAI 2019 Distinguished Program Committee member.
- May 2019 -Invited talk at Workshop: Emerging Learning Techniques for Robotics on Wednesday 26th June.
- Apr 2019 -One paper accepted to ICML 2019! Project page
- Apr 2019 -Funded KTP project with Prof. Frans Coenen and Dr. Terry Payne and Astech Projects.
- Apr 2019 –One paper accepted to TAROS 2019.
- Mar 2019 –Kicking off our AI-related training to PhD students across the Faculty!
- Jan 2019 –Invited to be part of the Program Committee of IJCAI 2019.
- Jan 2019 –One paper accepted to ICRA 2019! News
- Jan 2019 –One paper accepted to AAMAS 2019!
- Dec 2018 – Our ViTac workshop accepted to ICRA2019!
- Nov 2018 – Invited to be part of the Program Committee of AAMAS 2019.
- Oct 2018 – Secured a research grant of £73k funded by the CDBB.
- Oct 2018 – Join the RAIN (Robotics and AI In Nuclear) Hub as a Co-Investigator at Liverpool.
- Sep 2018 – Welcome Daniel Fernandes Gomes join the smARTLab to start his PhD!
- Jul 2018 - One paper accepted to Automation in Construction!
- Jun 2018 – One paper accepted to Autonomous Robots journal!
- May 2018 - One EPSRC PhD DTP position funded!
- Jan 2018 – One paper accepted to ICRA 2018!
- Jan 2018 – One paper accepted to ISBI 2018!
- Jan 2018 – Moved to the University of Liverpool as a Lecturer (Assistant Professor)
- Nov 2017 – One paper accepted to the Mechatronics journal!
- Sep 2017 – Moved to Harvard University
- Sep 2017 – Our works demonstrated at RAEng Research Forum!
- Jun 2017 – Our works demonstrated at IET Robotics Showcase!
- Jun 2017 – Our works demonstrated at Resilient Infrastructure Challenge!
- Jun 2017 – Our works on BBC!
- Mar 2017 – One paper accepted to Neurocomputing
- Mar 2017 – Three papers accepted to ISARC 2017
- Aug 2016 – Research visit at CSAIL at MIT until Dec 2016
- Jul 2016 – One paper accepted to IROS 2016 as an oral presentation
- Jun 2016 - Our paper on haptics accepted to PLOS One
- Jun 2016 – Start working at University of Leeds
- Feb 2016 – Selected as AAAI-16 Robotics Fellowships!
- Jan 2016 – Passed my Ph.D viva with minor revision!
- Mar 2015 - One paper accepted to IEEE Sensors Journal
- Feb 2015 - One paper accepted to ICRA 2015 as an oral presentation