COMP222: Principles of Computer Game Design and Implementation
- Monday, Tuesday, 10:00 - 13:00. Please, request a meeting by e-mail.
- To introduce the main issues surrounding the computer games architecture.
- To introduce the fundamental concepts underpinning computer games development (game physics, game artificial intelligence, content generation).
- To provide practical experience of software engineering associated with computer games.
- Have an understanding of different design issues related to computer games development: game structure, game engine, physics engine;
- Have an appreciation of the fundamental concepts associated with game development: game physics, game artificial intelligence, content generation;
- Have the ability to implement a simple game using an existing game engine.
There will be 26-30 lectures. The lecture notes will appear here one week ahead of the lectures.
(Demos: one.java , Two.java , three.java , four.java )
(Demos: five.java , six.java , angleSum.java , angleSum_cal.java )
(Demos: rotate.java , rotate2.java )
(Demos: cross_product.java , cross_product2.java )
(Demos: hellocamera.java , helloInput.java )
(Demos: HelloPicking.java )
(Demos: HelloAiming.java , HelloAiming2.java , HelloAiming3.java )
(Demos: Example04.java ,
(Demos: Example01.java )
(Demos: Example01.java ,
There will be two project assignments, which will be disclosed in due course. Each coursework assignment takes 10% of the final mark.
For general game design and implementation, the following books are recommended:
For the implementation using jMonkey, please refer to the following books:
- Steve Rabin (Ed.). Introduction to game development. Second edition. Charles River Media. 2010.
- Millington, I. & Funge, J. 2009. Artificial intelligence for games (2nd edition). Burlington, M. A.: Morgan Kaufmann/Elsevier
- Millington, I. Game Physics Engine Development (Second Edition). Elsiveier. 2010
- Ruth Kusterer. jMonkeyEngine 3.0: Beginner’s guide. PACT publishing, 2013.
- Richard Reese, Justin Johnson: jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Game Development: A practical Guide. P8tecy, 2015.
- Rickard Eden. jMonkeyEngine 3.0 Cookbook. PACT pubshiing, 2013.
Acknowledgement: Most of the materials are inherited from Prof. Boris Konev