- (06/2020) We are recruiting a postdoctoral researcher for the H2020 project on "FOCETA - Foundations for Continuous Engineering of Trustworthy Autonomy". The position will be 3 years. You will collaborate with many research institutes and large companies across Europe. The topic will be on the verification and validation of learning-enabled systems.
- (10/2019) Have a 4-year PhD studentship funded by Dstl to work on "Statistical Approach to Assess the Trustworthiness of Robotics and AI". Please get in touch ASAP if you are interested in the position.
- (05/2019) We have a 2+ year postdoc position in the area of machine learning, software engineering, and automated verification,
working on the topic of “verification and testing of learning-enabled systems”. Please find more details here. The position can start any time from now. If you are interested in, please feel free to get in touch.
- (05/2018) We have a new vacancy for PhD student, in conjunction with IBM, to explore "property-aware learning" on how to ensure the correctness of systems with learning-enabled components
(such as deep learning components) by imposing constraints (e.g., safety, security, ethical norms, etc) during the learning process. Advertisement can be found
from findAPhD. The funding is for four years, waiving the tuition fee and having
stipend 14,777 per year.
Exceptional international student can apply, and please contact me first. The position needs to start before October, so please apply ASAP.
- (03/2018) a fully-funded PhD positions is available. The student will be advised by me and Dr. Wei-Yun Yao at A*STAR, Singapore, on the topic of Explainable Intelligent Robots. The student will spend two years in Liverpool and Singapore, respectively. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in. Please find more details here
- (03/2018) a fully-funded PhD positions is available. The student will be advised by me and Prof. Shang-Hong Lai at National Tsing Hua University (NTHU), Taiwan, on the topic of Verified Object Recognition and Manipulation. The student will spend two years in Liverpool and Taiwan, respectively. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in. Please find more details here .
Postdocs in the project where I was/am the primary investigator
- Nicolas Berthier, 2019 - .
- Youcheng Sun, 2018-2019. now at Queen University of Belfast.
Supervision of Postgraduate Research Students
- Mr Kaiwen Cai, with Dr. Shan Luo as the co-supervisor.
- topic: autonomous cyber physical systems
- 10/2020 -
- Mr Dengyu Wu, with Dr. Xinping Yi as the co-supervisor.
- topic: energy efficient deep learning
- 10/2019 -
- Ms Peipei Xu, with Prof. Frank Wolter as the co-supervisor.
- topic: verification of deep learning
- 06/2019 -
- Ms Amany Alshareef, started from 03/2019, with Prof. Sven Schewe as the co-supervisor. Before coming to Liverpool, Amany has an MSc at Ball State University and a BSc at Umm Al-Qura University.
- topic: testing deep learning
- 03/2019 -
- Mr Gaojie Jin, with Dr. Xinping Yi as the co-supervisor. Before coming to Liverpool, Gaojie has an MSc at Liverpool University and a BSc at Peking University.
- topic: interpretability
- 03/2019 -
- Mr Wei Huang, started from 02/2019, with Prof. Shang-Hong Lai at National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan, as the co-supervisor. Before coming to Liverpool, Wei has an MSc at Imperial College and a BSc at Xiamen University.
- topic: verification and validation of adaptive systems
- 02/2019 -
- Ms Emese Thamo, with Dr Yannis Goulermas as the co-supervisor. Before coming to Liverpool, Emese has a BSc at Cambridge.
- topic: Improving the Safety of Deep Reinforcement Learning Algorithms by Making Them More Interpretable
- 10/2018 -
If you are interested in doing a PhD in relevant reserach areas with me, please feel free to contact me. University of Liverpool has a set of established scholarship schemes
, including Liverpool china scholarship council award
and Sir Joseph Rotblat Alumni Scholarship
. Additional to these, I may have some vacancies from time to time.
- Dr Chen Zhang, China University of Mining and Technology. 12/2019 - 11/2020
- Mr Zhixuan Xu, Renming University of China. 10/2019 - 10/2020
- Mr Francesco Crecchi, University of Pisa, Italy. 04/2019 - 06/2019
"Robotics and Artificial Intelligence" Reading group is to hold a weekly meeting where one of the members will have a 30-40 minutes talk, discussing either their own papers, papers from other research groups, or anything that they are interested in. This will be followed by a Q&A and discussion session among the group on the topic.
Anyone can join by request. If you are interested in, please feel free to drop me a message.
Due to the lockdown, we are mainly holding this through virtual meetings (please click: Zoom meeting
Right now, the meeting time is Tuesday 16:00-17:00, London time.
Starting from the week of 24th August, the meeting time is moved to Tuesday 11:00-12:00, London time.
The following is the schedule. Please drop me message if you have something to discuss (a title of your talk will be good, an abstract will be more than welcomed).
- 16:00-17:00, Tuesday, 07/07/2020. Xinping Yi. Topic: spectral analysis of convolutional neural networks
- 16:00-17:00, Tuesday, 14/07/2020. Gaojie Jin. Topic: predicting generalisation of deep neural networks
- 16:00-17:00, Tuesday, 21/07/2020. Wei Huang. Topic: backdoor attack on tree ensembles
- 16:00-17:00, Tuesday, 28/07/2020. Peipei Xu. Topic: Certified Adversarial Robustness via Randomized Smoothing
- 16:00-17:00, Tuesday, 04/08/2020. Dengyu Wu. Topic: Introduction to Spiking Neural Networks
- 16:00-17:00, Tuesday, 11/08/2020. Han Yu. Topic: Rate-Distortion Optimization Guided Autoencoder for Isometric Embedding in Euclidean Latent Space
- 16:00-17:00, Tuesday, 18/08/2020. Xiaowei Huang. Topic: Safety Certification of Deep Learning
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 25/08/2020. Gaojie Jin. Topic: `The Implicit and Explicit Regularization Effects of Dropout'
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 01/09/2020. Wei Huang. Topic: Practical Verification of Neural Network Enabled State Estimation System for Robotics.
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 08/09/2020. Fu Wang. Topic: ‘Adversarial Training for Free!’ and ‘Fast is better than free: Revisiting adversarial training’
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 15/09/2020. Peipei Xu. Topic: ‘Certified Defenses for Adversarial Patches’
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 22/09/2020. Dengyu Wu. Topic: ‘introduction to Spiking Neural Networks’
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 29/09/2020. Guanxiong Shen. Topic: Radio Frequency Fingerprint Identification for LoRa Using Deep Learning
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 06/10/2020. Ronghui Mu. Topic: Sparse Adversarial Perturbations for Videos
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 13/10/2020. Chi Zhang. Topic: POPQORN: Quantifying Robustness of Recurrent Neural Networks
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 20/10/2020. Han Yu. Topic: Rate-Distortion Optimization Guided Autoencoder for Isometric Embedding in Euclidean Latent Space
- 11:00-12:00, Tuesday, 27/10/2020. Gaojie Jin. Topic: How does Weight Correlation Affect the Generalisation Ability of Deep Neural Networks